Asian Meatball Soup
- 1 8-ounce package rice stick noodles
- 1/2 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 2 thighs)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 8 ounces lump crabmeat, picked over for shells
- 2 32-ounce containers reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha sauce or other Asian hot sauce
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut in thin slices
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
Place shrimp and chicken in a food processor fitted with the “S” blade and pulse until coarsely chopped. Scrape the mixture out into a large bowl and stir in garlic, green onions, fish sauce, black pepper and sugar. Add crab and form into 36 balls.
Bring broth, soy sauce, brown sugar, chili sauce, lime juice and ginger to a boil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Drop in the meatballs and cook for 10 minutes. Divide the noodles among 6-8 soup bowls and top with the meatballs. Ladle the broth over the soup and serve with a sprinkling of the chopped cilantro.
Makes 6-8 servings.