- 1 onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon chili oil or Asian hot sauce (such as Sriracha)
- 1 1/2 pounds flank steak, cut into thin slices
- 4 tablespoons peanut butter (or 1/4 cup finely chopped peanuts)
- 2 tablespoons warm water
Combine onion, garlic, ginger, sugar, soy, sesame oil and chili oil or hot sauce in a food processor fitted with the “S” blade. Pulse until the mixture forms a smooth, wet paste. Pour half of the marinade into a zip-top plastic bag. Add the beef, seal the bag and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
Combine the remaining marinade with the peanut butter and water in a small bowl. Set aside until ready to use, or cover and refrigerate overnight.
When ready to serve, heat indoor or outdoor grill. Thread the beef onto skewers and grill for 1-2 minutes per side, basting with the marinade once on each side. Serve immediately with the dipping sauce.
Makes 8 appetizer servings or 4 entrée servings.