Ricotta Sweet Potato Beignets
- 1 cup cooked, mashed sweet potato
- 1/2 cup fresh ricotta cheese, preferably sheep’s milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Pinch salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Powdered sugar, for garnish
Combine all the ingredients in a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and mix until smooth. Roll into 1 1/2-inch balls (the size of a walnut) and set aside on a plate. Refrigerate until ready to cook.
Just before serving, heat 2 to 3 inches of oil in a deep, heavy pot fitted with a deep-frying thermometer to 365 degrees F. Working in batches, to avoid crowding the pot, fry the balls until golden brown all over, moving them around in the oil to make sure they cook and brown evenly.
Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels or a brown paper bag. Dust with powdered sugar and serve warm. (Make sure to let the oil return to 365 degrees F between batches.)